About the Foundation
The Library Foundation, Inc. was established in 1975 to support the Bismarck Veterans Memorial Public Library. Our mission is to enrich publicly-funded Library services by raising private funds to enhance collections, resources and facilities.
Completed $430,000 fundraising campaign for new Teen Center
Spearheaded the $643,000 Children's Library Renovation, completed in 2009
Raised the funds to construct library coffee shop in 2007
Established Endowment Fund, which has grown to over $1.24 million since 2001
Raised over $300,000 to complete the new building in the late 1980s
Makes annual contributions for children's and teen programming, books, computer equipment and much more
Bismarck Public Library was established in 1917 in a building funded by Andrew Carnegie at 6th Street and Thayer Avenue. In 1963, a modern building was erected at 6th Street and Avenue A to provide more space. The new Veterans Memorial Public Library honored World War II and Korean War veterans. It was about 17,000 square feet.
A major library expansion was completed in 1989, giving the library 70,000 square feet of space and a new name: Bismarck Veterans Memorial Public Library. The facility occupies the block between 5th and 6th streets north of Avenue A. Today the library has more than 7,000 visitors each week. More than 44,000 people have library cards.